Daycare for Adults/Senior Centers
Adult Daycare facilities or Senior Centers have been able to provide services to our loved ones that enable them to delay or avoid assisted living/nursing homes. These services give opportunities to the caregiver to continue to work or take a much-needed break from the demands of looking after a loved one.
Daycare Facilities are designed to provide comprehensive opportunities and supervision to older adults during the day. Older adults who go to a Senior Center or Daycare facility usually live with a relative or are still in their own home. They benefit from the social and emotional interactions that one of these facilities can provide.
Would your loved one benefit from participating in a Senior Center of an Adult Daycare facility?
Questions to consider
- Does your loved one need social interaction with peers?
- Are you concerned for their safety when they are alone at home?
- Does your loved one need help with their daily medications and meal preparation?
- Would your loved one benefit from recreational activities or exercise?
- Do you think your loved one is lonely being at home all day/ do they seem depressed or withdrawn?
- Do you as the caregiver need a break?
Senior Centers/Adult Daycare are places that older adults go to in order to satisfy a number of their basic needs such as social, physical and emotional connectedness. There are different facilities depending on the needs of the person.
Social – These facilities provide recreational actives that engage the older adults. They can also provide meals and a level of medical services.
Medical– These are staffed by social workers and nurses. They provide a level of medication management, PT and OT, and various other health related needs.
Specialized – These facilities generally deal with those older adults who are dealing with Memory Issues/Alzheimer’s.
Activities older adults may access at an Adult Daycare/Senior Center:
- Exercise programs along with a swimming or lap pool.
- Medication Management.
- Craft or creative therapy activities.
- Personal hair and grooming services
- PT, OT, Speech or Audiology services.
- Library for book talks, research/computer/ book access.
- Card and or game room usually with a pool table.
- Dance opportunities are usually available.
- Outside my have a picnic area, horseshoe pit, shuffleboard.
- Healthy meals and snacks are usually provided.
- Some facilities will plan outings to local shopping malls, tourist attractions, local sporting events for the Seniors.
- Community Service Programs can be run from a Senior Center or Adult Daycare program.
- Some may provide transportation to and from the facility.
- They may also offer caregiver support groups, provide counseling for the Senior or caregiver and hold informational workshops on how to manage the ever-changing needs of our loved ones.
Services may vary from facility to facility and day to day. You need to research the options available in your community to see which one will best meets the needs of your loved one. Bear in mind that some facilities may combine services. Many facilities are open weekdays and a few open on weekends. If you have questions on a facility contact your local department of aging.
Paying for and the Cost of Senior Centers/Adult Daycare.
As with everything for our loved one’s care the price of these programs vary from state to state and community to community. It is generally more expensive in the northeast and less expensive in the south. The cost may run between $50 – $100 with an average cost of $75 a day depending on what services are offered and what services are needed. Facilities might also offer rates lower for those Seniors that only need a few hours a day at a Senior or Adult Daycare Center.
- Many Seniors will pay out of pocket for these programs.
- Family members can contribute to the cost.
- VA Benefits.
- PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly).
- In some states Medicare/Medicaid may provide some assistance.
- Long-term care insurance.
- Contact your local Agency on Aging to see what financial help may be available in your area.